Allo' Expat Falkland Island - Connecting Expats in Falkland Island
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Falkland Island Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center Falkland Island
Falkland Island General Information
Falkland Island Expatriates Handbook
Falkland Island and Foreign Government
Falkland Island General Listings
Falkland Island Useful Tips
Housing in Falkland Island
Pets to bring into Falkland Island
Driving in Falkland Island
Customs Etiquettes in Falkland Island
Falkland Island Education & Medical
Falkland Island Travel & Tourism Info
Falkland Island Lifestyle & Leisure
Falkland Island Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Driving in Falkland Island

Overland travel is difficult and vehicles can frequently get bogged down. Because of the condition of most roads and the strong winds, extreme care must be exercised when driving outside Stanley. However, there is one asphalt road linking Stanley, the Mount Pleasant airport complex and Goose Green, and an all-weather graded track linking Mount Pleasant with Goose Green and Stanley with Port Louis, Estancia, Salvador and various settlements in the north of East Falkland as far as Port San Carlos. A similar track on West Falkland links Port Howard, Chartres, Fox Bay, Hill Cove and Roy Cove. The best form of transport in this terrain is a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Road networks are continually improving however.

The international driving permit is valid for a limited period of time and must be issued or renewed by an authority in the country of the person's driving licence.

If you are the holder of an ordinary driving licence or international driving permit (car, moped, motorcycle entitlement) and provided your licence or permit remains valid, you can drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you became resident. To ensure continuous driving entitlement a provisional UK licence must have been obtained and a driving test(s) passed before the 12-month period elapses.

If you obtain a provisional licence during this period, you are not subject to provisional licence conditions e.g. displaying ‘L’ plates or being supervised by a qualified driver or being precluded from motorways.

However, if you do not pass a test within the 12-month concessionary period you will not be allowed to drive as a full licence holder and provisional licence conditions will apply. If you do not apply for a provisional licence within the first 12 months you must stop driving and obtain a British provisional licence with a view to passing a driving test. Provisional licence conditions will then apply.

If you return to your home country for a period less than 185 days and then come back to the UK the 12 month period does not start again.

However, if you hold a driving licence from a designated country you may apply to exchange this for a British one up to five years after becoming a resident here. To ensure continuous driving entitlement, a UK licence must be obtained before this period elapses, by exchanging your licence for a UK one. If you do not do this, you must stop driving although you may apply to exchange your licence at any time within five years of becoming resident. The designated countries are: Gibraltar, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea*, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.





copyrights ©
2017 | Policy